Photographer and scribbler

My Work

http://www.willandersonphotography.com

Blog Archive

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Bypassing LA



Although the trip I took to California recently was for a funeral of a dear old friend it had it's merits.
I had always wanted to visit Joshua Tree National Park.
I landed in LA on a Thursday morning and drove straight there. Checked into my roadside Motel,
drove into the desert and walked into the middle of giant Cactus field.
I found a small rock as a perfect seat and watched the sun come down.
Nothing like sitting in silence with just the company of alien plant forms and distant winds.



 I was up the next morning at five to see sunrise and take typically touristy pictures. The rocks are really not this colour but if you underexpose you get the postcard orange rocks. 







I can only imagine what lived here millions of years ago.




I hiked high up to see the valley looking away from the park towards LA and the highway I was staying on.
Not the greatest hike but I got a sense of how barren urban sprawl is compared to the life teeming around my feet.




California Bluebells. I was surprised to see these as I grow them in my
garden.




 The start of sunset towards Coachella Valley and the Salton Sea. 




I wrestled with many different camera wielding tourists to get the iconic Joshua Tree picture.
I promised myself I would not take a picture like this but I couldn't resist.




Pollution from the Valley industry


It's true what they say the stars are amazing.
I lay on the roof of my car and dozed off awaking to this.



5 Am again for a final sunrise hike before driving to breakfast in Palm Springs and then to
Santa Ana for Dianes service.



I love being in the desert. The amount of plants and animals that
seem so foreign from the damp lands of England make me feel alive.
My eyes were fed. From cactus that make me laugh they look so
unearthly to flocks of Blue Jays fighting in the rising sun it's just unforgettable.





Driving down into the Coachella valley I really felt I was on
an ancient planet. Surreal and inspiring views of barren lands.








No comments:

Post a Comment