Photographer and scribbler

My Work

http://www.willandersonphotography.com

Blog Archive

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Nerve Block

The most amazing thing about the surgery  I had was being able to have a local anesthesia, nerve block and sedative. You're out. No memory of anything it might as well be general Anesthesia but without
the horrible period of waking up. 

Last time I had surgery for a broken collar bone. It was fixed with 6 pins and a plate.
  When I came out of the general anesthesia I could feel every screw drilled into my bones and the incision.
There's a window where the hospital can only put you on a very low morphine drip until you're fully conscious and peeing. Sheer hell I wish it on no one. 

This time last thing I remember was having an injection in the IV line and that's it.
I woke up like nothing had happened. Best sleep ever. No pain. I ate three sandwiches and a gallon of apple juice and I was raring to go. The Surgeon gave me the below and said you may need these. Especially the breakthrough pain. 'Breakthrough pain'? Never heard of that.

The next night the Nerve Block wore off and like the surgeon joked ( I didn't believe him )
It will hit you like a 'freight train'. He was not kidding. It felt like a train wheel was crushing my foot over and over again and then someone throwing boiling water on the wound and rubbing salt into it. 
No amount of pain meds could quell it. I had two nights like that. Moaning in agony while high as a kite. I learned what breakthrough pain was. Pain that breaks through the strongest pain meds.
I still haven't recovered. It knocked me for six.

No comments:

Post a Comment